Xtreme Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Study: Facebook users get worse grades

+6
Tig
ueda-hime
Silverpaw
pizza
Mystical Bubble
gatekeeper
10 posters

Go down

Study: Facebook users get worse grades Empty Study: Facebook users get worse grades

Post by gatekeeper Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:29 am

See, stay off these social sites and get your grades up... :lol:
A new study released by Ohio State University shows that college students who use Facebook spend less time studying and have lower grades than students who don’t use the popular social networking site. But don’t count on the Facebook users admitting the problem. The university report noted that 79% of them said that using the social networking site was not interfering with their studies. “We can’t say that use of Facebook leads to lower grades and less studying — but we did find a relationship there,” said Aryn Karpinski, co-author of the study and a doctoral student in education at Ohio State University. “There’s a disconnect between students’ claim that Facebook use doesn’t impact their studies, and our finding showing they had lower grades and spent less time studying.”

The university reported that science, technology, engineering, math and business majors were more likely to use Facebook than students who are studying social sciences and the humanities. The survey of 219 Ohio State students only asked about Facebook and did not focus on other social networking sites, like Myspace or Twitter. Facebook, which just turned five years old in February, had nearly double the number of global users last December as rival and longtime market leader Myspace.com Inc. Just last week, Facebook itself reported that it was hitting a major milestone: It had captured its 200 millionth user. The Ohio State University study found that 85% of undergraduates use Facebook, while 52% of graduate students had accounts. It also found that Facebook users, who generally studied between one and five hours per week, had GPAs between 3.0 and 3.5, but nonusers, who studied 11 to 15 hours per week, had GPAs between 3.5 and 4.0.

Source: Computer World.
Happy studying people... Razz
gatekeeper
gatekeeper

Number of posts : 171
Pets & Stuff : Study: Facebook users get worse grades 1f467d9c

Back to top Go down

Study: Facebook users get worse grades Empty Re: Study: Facebook users get worse grades

Post by Mystical Bubble Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Good post! Wink
Its so true....cyber-communities do interfere in real life and definitely affect education too

Mystical Bubble

Number of posts : 394
Moods : Study: Facebook users get worse grades A03c757a
Pets & Stuff : Study: Facebook users get worse grades 0889f43bStudy: Facebook users get worse grades Cat

Back to top Go down

Study: Facebook users get worse grades Empty Re: Study: Facebook users get worse grades

Post by pizza Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 pm

I have facebook, but it doesnt really affect me as i rarely go online
pizza
pizza

Number of posts : 2
Pets & Stuff : No Pets & Stuff bought by this member right now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverpaw Sat May 02, 2009 8:21 am

Heh, I love engineering. <_<;

Although that is true, in my opinion it'd be the internet in general. It's really addicting, and when it comes to forums & similar sites I tend to procrastinate my studies or my homework. I never joined a social networking site, I'm all set on that end. ;p
Silverpaw
Silverpaw
Evil Newbie
Evil Newbie

Number of posts : 28
Moods : Study: Facebook users get worse grades 6bc99c3e

http://www.legendofzelda.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ueda-hime Wed May 06, 2009 1:44 am

Haha yeah that would be me
I'm on Facebook 24/7
But I get good grades. like high 90s O_O
ehhh sometimes it's not true for everyone
ueda-hime
ueda-hime
Evil Newbie
Evil Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tig Wed May 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Thats an interesting article and very very true
Tig
Tig
Active Beginner
Active Beginner

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by ueda-hime Thu May 14, 2009 3:39 am

TigTrivers wrote:Thats an interesting article and very very true

sometimes i think people skip over my posts XD

why is it that im always on facebook like 24/7 but i still get good grades? XD
ueda-hime
ueda-hime
Evil Newbie
Evil Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tig Thu May 14, 2009 10:10 am

I read your post and I meant it was very very true for me
Tig
Tig
Active Beginner
Active Beginner

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystical Bubble Sun May 17, 2009 3:31 am

ueda-hime wrote:
sometimes i think people skip over my posts XD

why is it that im always on facebook like 24/7 but i still get good grades? XD

Not everything applies to everyone...there are exceptions...
U're not amongst the majority (those whose attention span decreases due to cyber connections or activities.) Its like u're addicted to FB yet u can concentrate on ur studies.
Keep up bein' an all-rounder! Wink

Mystical Bubble

Number of posts : 394
Moods : Study: Facebook users get worse grades A03c757a
Pets & Stuff : Study: Facebook users get worse grades 0889f43bStudy: Facebook users get worse grades Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnywilko Sat May 23, 2009 11:24 am

pizza wrote:I have facebook, but it doesnt really affect me as i rarely go online
Same as you.
Johnywilko
Johnywilko
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustafa Sat May 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Really true..
Mustafa
Mustafa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Number of posts : 284
Moods : Study: Facebook users get worse grades 92bd96e3

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CANADIEN Sun May 24, 2009 11:31 pm

True, true. I think I'm getting too involved online; what with not keeping up with my studies and all. I have exams in 2 weeks to top it all of.

CANADIEN

Number of posts : 5
Pets & Stuff : No pets yet!

Back to top Go down

Post by Base Mon May 25, 2009 8:12 am

I'm online quite a lot, but my grades are average. So not too bad, but not too great either.
Base
Base
Evil Newbie
Evil Newbie

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum